This page will feature places associated with the Studd family. If you can provide further information and pictures please contact John Studd in Petersfield UK.
Click on a thumbnail picture to see a larger picture and some text.
Wivenhoe, derived from the Saxon, Wifa's Hoh (a spur of land) also has some Roman traces. It is situated on the River Colne, a few miles from Colchester. and since the 16th century, the town has been a ship building and fishing port. It was mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086), though no church was mentioned in a written source until 1254.
Over the years, the church has been rebuilt, renovated and almost destroyed by the 1884 earthquake. Parish records date from 1560 and include many Studd's, Warren's and Austin's. The churchyard was closed for burials in 1856 and in the 1960's the headstones were removed and placed like a fence around the cemetery.
Photo courtesy of Chris Goddard
This watercolour by Charles Norton (1826 - 1872) is titled St Peter's Church, Eastern Hill and the Melbourne Diocesan School 1850 and is from the La Trobe Collection, State Library of Victoria. Permission has been given for its reproduction.
George Studd and Victoria Spurgeon were married there on 16th August 1853 by the parish priest, Henry Hewlett Paulet Handfield.
This photo shows the remains of the original Studd family home on the sheep property at Amphitheatre. It was demolished in the 1980's, after Tom Wakefield had taken over the place, following the death of his great-aunt, Elsie Poole (nee Studd). Tom and Barbara, and their sons, still live on the farm, in a rather more modern house.
Tom and Max Studd are the men in the photo.
, in Amphitheatre cemetery, reads:
and Vittoria Isabella, wife of above
This photo shows Graeme and Max Studd (both of Melbourne), sons of George Charles and Hazel (nee Canaway), grandsons of Frederick Arthur and Jeannie Adeline (nee Dobles), great grandsons of James Charles and Mary Jane (nee Innes) and great great grandsons of George Charles and Victoria Isabella. This is a typical Australian country cemetery. The Pyrenees Ranges of central western Victoria can be seen in the background. The anniversary plaque can be seen in the foreground, inside the gravesite fence.
The plaque was made at Kyabram in northern Victoria. It was attached to a piece of quartzite rock, which Pam Studd and Tom Wakefield took from his property, where the remains of the gold diggings are found.
It celebrates the arrival in Melbourne in 1853 and 150 years since, descendants are found in Australia, New Zealand and the USA.